Systems Mathematical & Simulation Modeller
Job Title: Systems Mathematical & Simulation Modeller
Location: Cowes, Isle of Wight and Portsmouth – We offer a range of hybrid and flexible working arrangements – please chat with your recruiter about the options for this particular role
Salary: Up to £57,810 depending on skills and experience
What you’ll be doing:
· Conduct mathematical modelling and simulation development devising and evolving algorithmic and design solutions to meet system capability and performance requirements of complex underwater weapon or radar systems
· Develop, maintain, and evolve high-fidelity, high-integrity, high-complexity mathematical models and performance simulations of technical solutions for such systems
· Utilise mathematical modelling and simulation to identify and develop performance enhancements and novel solutions to improve existing underwater weapon or radar product capability and evolve future associated technologies
· Develop novel solutions to evolving technical challenges and emerging issues that our customer community are facing
· Support multi-disciplined engineering teams in the realisation, implementation, verification, and validation of algorithmic and design solutions for deployable underwater weapon or radar systems
· Conduct system performance analysis and design trade-offs of principle system parameters in order to characterise and define system design constraints and limitations in various operational scenarios
· Undertake system performance analysis of integration and post trials data to inform underwater weapon or radar systems design solutions, and to generate customer acceptance evidence
· Be a technical focus point for development and analysis activities, preparing and presenting technical aspects to the required stakeholders
· Apply a breadth of knowledge, skills and experience of Systems Engineering (e.g., ISO 15288) to design and develop solutions and resolve engineering issues and problems for a range of products and engineering situations across our underwater or radar sectors
Your skills and experiences:
· A strong mathematical and engineering mind-set with an innovative approach to problem solving that can be applied to resolving complex technical and system level requirements
· Understands engineering principles and approaches and be capable of systems thinking, applying holistic approaches to complex problems
· Experience of mathematical simulation tools/languages (e.g., MathWorks MATLAB, Simulink, Pearl, Python, MathCAD)
· Experience of using a high-level design methodology (e.g., SysML, UML) to define modelled solutions for subsequent implementation
· An understanding of factors that can affect the real-world performance of underwater weapon or radar systems and how these can impact modelled or simulated performance prediction
· An understanding of signal processing and/or tracking algorithms and techniques employed on contemporary radio, satellite, radar or sonar real-world systems would be an advantage
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
Systems Modelling & Simulation in Product & Training Services:
You will be working as a Systems Mathematical & Simulation Modeller within a product team of inter‑disciplinary engineers from a bespoke portfolio of new and existing products as part of our prestigious Product & Training Services division. This position provides excellent opportunities to develop both your own skills and also further your career within Maritime Services and the wider company.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.
Closing Date: 12th January 2024
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.
Life at BAE SystemsWe’re a skilled, diverse, collaborative community of over 90,500 people, creating some of the world's most advanced, technology-led defence, aerospace, marine, land, and security solutions. We value the creativity and innovation of a diverse and inclusive team, and trust and empower our people to thrive, no matter what their background or experience.
Read what colleagues past and present have to say about life at BAE Systems.
Want to know more?
Diversity, equity and inclusionWe want everyone here to feel valued and empowered to thrive. Who you are should never define what you can do. We believe when you bring together different people and different perspectives it inspires creativity and drives innovation. It helps us fulfil our purpose and it’s integral to our culture. Everyone is heard and respected here.
Learning and developmentIf you’re curious, hungry for more responsibility, and prepared to step out of your comfort zone, there are endless opportunities to grow with us. At every stage of your career our first-class training, coaching and development programmes, role models and mentors will help you embrace your potential and take the next step.
Reward and benefitsGreat work deserves benefits that go beyond your salary. Whether it’s health, wellbeing, or financial security for you and your family – our flexible benefits help you focus on what’s important to you.
Want to know more?
Diversity, equity and inclusionWe want everyone here to feel valued and empowered to thrive. Who you are should never define what you can do. We believe when you bring together different people and different perspectives it inspires creativity and drives innovation. It helps us fulfil our purpose and it’s integral to our culture. Everyone is heard and respected here.Discover moretrending_flat
Learning and developmentIf you’re curious, hungry for more responsibility, and prepared to step out of your comfort zone, there are endless opportunities to grow with us. At every stage of your career our first-class training, coaching and development programmes, role models and mentors will help you embrace your potential and take the next step.Discover moretrending_flat
Reward and benefitsGreat work deserves benefits that go beyond your salary. Whether it’s health, wellbeing, or financial security for you and your family – our flexible benefits help you focus on what’s important to you.Discover moretrending_flat