Principal Engineer – Combat Systems
Job Title: Principal Engineer – Combat Systems (External Communications System)
Location: BAE Systems have sites across England and we can be flexible on your contracted location – This is a Hybrid role with an expectation to go into your contracted location twice per week with travel to southern sites when required.
Salary: Up to £59,000 (dependent on skillset and experience)
What you’ll be doing:
· Support the key part of a national endeavour to provide an essential capability into the latest, most technically advanced, Submarine the UK has ever built, supporting the submarine Continuous at Sea Deterrent (CASD)
· Support the Product Technical Authority (TA(P)) in being responsible for the technical acceptability (including technical assurance) of the submarine External Communications System (ECS)
· Influence, agreeing and capturing engineering requirements, ensuring developments are integrated, safe and fully compliant with performance and cost requirements and ensuring that the developed solution is clearly defined, configured and controlled
· Lead the system design activities including: design reviews, boundary documents and interface documents
· Support the final acceptance and assisting with the provision of Certificates of Design to meet Contractual and Regulatory requirements
· Conduct the Engineering elements of Sub-Contract Design Reviews (SCDR)
· Guide the integrated performance and acceptance activities – including acceptance of equipment from sub-system suppliers and acceptance by the MoD customer
· Lead the evolving design solution with specialist support to other engineers and non-engineers within the Dreadnought, ECS and ICS teams
Your skills and experiences:
· Knowledge and experience of using DOORS and Requirement Management Systems. This should align to management of complex requirements through the whole requirement life cycle, i.e. from concept to through to acceptance sign off and associated management within the toolset.
· Knowledge and experience in developing either a system qualification plan or an integrated test, evaluation and acceptance plan
· Knowledge of the Engineering Life Cycle (ELC) and Product lifecycle
· Good understanding of the whole spectrum of radio frequency communications
· Have a background in designing, testing, integrating, installing and qualifying of radio communication systems
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
External Communications Systems team:
As part of the Complex Systems & Support Equipment Programmes Group, the External Communications System team provides Project and Engineering Management authority for the procurement; delivery and proving of the Communications systems that are integrated within the Common Combat System on today’s fleet of Astute Class Submarines, Vanguard Class and the Future SSBN replacement Dreadnought Class.
As a Principal External Communications Engineer, you will be part of the Dreadnought engineering team responsible for ensuring equipment is fit for purpose, meets functional and non-functional requirements and is safe, capable and assured meeting the demands of our customer and supporting the Submarine Flotilla commitments.
This role will provide you with an exciting opportunity to influence the design of the very latest submarine class and play a key role within submarine communications. Working directly for the Senior Engineering Manager and with the Product Technical Authority you would be part of a dynamic high performing and delivery focused team, with wide ranging opportunity for personal and professional development. The External Communications System team is committed to supporting the future aspirations of all its members.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.
Closing Date: 24th October
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.
Life at BAE SystemsWe’re a skilled, diverse, collaborative community of over 90,500 people, creating some of the world's most advanced, technology-led defence, aerospace, marine, land, and security solutions. We value the creativity and innovation of a diverse and inclusive team, and trust and empower our people to thrive, no matter what their background or experience.
Read what colleagues past and present have to say about life at BAE Systems.
Want to know more?
Diversity, equity and inclusionWe want everyone here to feel valued and empowered to thrive. Who you are should never define what you can do. We believe when you bring together different people and different perspectives it inspires creativity and drives innovation. It helps us fulfil our purpose and it’s integral to our culture. Everyone is heard and respected here.
Learning and developmentIf you’re curious, hungry for more responsibility, and prepared to step out of your comfort zone, there are endless opportunities to grow with us. At every stage of your career our first-class training, coaching and development programmes, role models and mentors will help you embrace your potential and take the next step.
Reward and benefitsGreat work deserves benefits that go beyond your salary. Whether it’s health, wellbeing, or financial security for you and your family – our flexible benefits help you focus on what’s important to you.
Want to know more?
Diversity, equity and inclusionWe want everyone here to feel valued and empowered to thrive. Who you are should never define what you can do. We believe when you bring together different people and different perspectives it inspires creativity and drives innovation. It helps us fulfil our purpose and it’s integral to our culture. Everyone is heard and respected here.Discover moretrending_flat
Learning and developmentIf you’re curious, hungry for more responsibility, and prepared to step out of your comfort zone, there are endless opportunities to grow with us. At every stage of your career our first-class training, coaching and development programmes, role models and mentors will help you embrace your potential and take the next step.Discover moretrending_flat
Reward and benefitsGreat work deserves benefits that go beyond your salary. Whether it’s health, wellbeing, or financial security for you and your family – our flexible benefits help you focus on what’s important to you.Discover moretrending_flat