Job Title Degree Apprentice Submarines Associate Production Planning & Control Barrow
Salary We offer a competitive salary with annual increases throughout the apprenticeship and a range of employee benefits including, free higher education as well as access to the Company pension and Share Incentive plan.
What you will be doing
You will train to become a Production Planning & Control Associate within the Production Planning & Control (PP&C) function on this extensive five-year degree apprenticeship programme. We will support you in balancing your academic studies with on the job learning, working towards a Level 6 Project Manager Integrated Degree, whilst understanding how to link theory to common practice.
A diverse and challenging environment, Production Planning & Control is a newly created function in the Submarines business which encompasses a variety of teams from across programmes including Production Schedulers, System of Work Assurance, Production Support Leads and Material Teams.
These teams will offer you exposure to a wide range of roles & responsibilities, systems and processes within BAE Systems.
They all work closely with and feed into each other as well as the Operations Function. This will give you an in-depth overall view of how work is enabled and fed into the execution stage of build, as well as how they are governed.
In support of your degree apprenticeship, you’ll experience a breadth of placements across various environments, learning from skilled subject matter experts. You’ll receive support from a wide network of stakeholders, increasing your understanding of the business and developing the competencies you need to become an effective Production Planning & Control Associate.
Building your knowledge on:
• Material Management- Managing the flow of materials from supplier to onsite Production Teams to enable them to execute work to the Production Schedule.
• Production Planning & Scheduling- Ensuring a continuous flow of enabled work for Production Teams to complete in alignment with the Critical Path and Plan Schedule.
• Load & Capacity Planning- Matching resource and space availability with the aim of meeting plan demands.
• System Of Work Assurance- Ensuring all process steps within the Production Control system of work are being applied and followed consistently by all teams involved
• Quality Assurance Activities- Following a Quality Assurance schedule where processes and documentation are audited and process confirmed to ensure they are relevant and fit for purpose.
• Process Management- Creation, deployment, review and improvement of processes within the PP&C Function. Engaging with teams across PP&C and cross functionally for best practice.
• Project scope – Requirements management, and evaluation of alternative methods to learn from the past to improve delivery. Project scope change control, baseline change management, configuration management.
• Project schedule – Scheduling and estimating for project activities including how they can be quality assessed. Progress monitoring and metrics to assess work performed against the schedule baseline. Schedule management methods to evaluate and revise activities to improve confidence in delivery.
• Wider Project Management principles – such as project governance, stakeholder management, project communication and leadership.
Building your skills on:
• Systems knowledge using SAP, SAP BI, BEMA and how they are applied within relevant teams.
• Scheduling the workload and operations completed by Production Teams.
• Scope management – Determine, control and manage changes to the scope of a project, including assumptions, capturing all inter dependencies and any constraints.
• Monitor progress against the Production plans and refine as appropriate, implementing the change control process where relevant.
• Schedule management – Prepare and maintain schedules for activities aligned to project delivery in line with business process.
• Project Management techniques – project quality and resource management, business case management and contract and procurement management.
You will maintain, update and report on key project planning and scheduling data, identify any potential issues and help to identify and reduce risks as the project progresses and help make effective decisions to move the project plan and schedule along. You’ll be using the latest project management and planning tools and strategies to assist the Planning Managers and Project Managers in keeping projects on track.
Alongside on the job experience, you will gain a Professional Qualification accredited by the Association of Project Management (APM). You will also be given additional BAE training on the principles of Planning and Scheduling and expected to achieve other planning qualifications alongside your apprenticeship standard such as Project Planning and Control (PPC) Foundation and Practitioner professional accreditations.
On this scheme you will be supported and nurtured to give you the capacity to make the role your own, and seize the endless opportunities for business, personal and professional growth.
Overview of business unit
Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century.
The Astute class will equip the Royal Navy with its largest and most capable generation of attack submarines. We are responsible for the design, build, test and commissioning of these state-of-the-art vessels. In total, seven boats will make up the fleet, each weighing a mighty 7,400 tonnes.
Dreadnought is the successor to the Vanguard class of nuclear deterrent submarines. We will deliver four submarines to the Royal Navy, with the first submarine entering service in the early 2030s. Dreadnought is widely considered to be one of the world’s most complex engineering challenges.
We have sites in Barrow-in-Furness, Filton, Frimley, Ash Vale, Broad Oak and Weymouth, and we pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you’ll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. A career here means using your passion and ingenuity to defend national security with breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions. It’s rewarding work that truly makes a difference. And as you tackle critical projects, you’ll work alongside a supportive team – driven by a shared ambition to protect what really matters. At BAE Systems, you’ll find an extraordinary career where you can realize your true potential.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently under represented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals.
We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.
We also provide the opportunity to get involved in projects outside of your primary remit. We encourage you to seek a stretch project in which you’ll gain different experiences. With our huge portfolio of products and our multinational presence, there are opportunities to get involved in something different around every corner. Additionally, we encourage involvement in community projects, STEM initiatives and support groups (called employee resource groups) which all provide valuable learning and development experiences that you may not have access to in your day-to-day role. To ensure we retain our talented people, we offer a blend of sponsorship, additional support in career development planning and a portfolio of high potential development programmes.
Our mission is to build a strong, diverse, adaptable, and high performing work force that will develop and grow our future business. We believe that everyone has talent, and at the heart of our talent management approach our ambition is to be recognised as the UK’s top employer in the defence and security sector for valuing diversity and inclusion.
Export Control / Security
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.